Re: [tlug] SSH Tunneling basics

Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@example.com> wrote:

> Almost every time I go on an overseas conference trip, although I am
> able to access the web and my email accounts from my hotel room, I
> am usually not able to access my web site server via SSH.
>
> I have been told that what I need to do is set up Tunneling before I
> go away.

It depends what kind of tunneling you're talking about.

> ssh -N -p 22 will@example.com -L 2110/localhost/110

I don't think that will help you. (Subject/object confusion?)

As Edmund Edgar wrote, you could put your ssh server on a
non-standard port. If you have multiple IP addresses,
then you could put your ssh server on port 25/80/110/443
of a separate IP address, to avoid conflicts with your
mail or web servers.

Another technique is to tunnel ssh traffic _through_ http.
I have not done this stuff. Here's a start:

   http://dag.wieers.com/howto/ssh-http-tunneling/
   http://www.mtu.net/~engstrom/ssh-proxy.php
   http://digg.com/news/story/Tunneling_SSH_over_HTTP(S)
   http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/using-corkscrew-to-tunnel-ssh-over-http/962