[tlug] SSH Tunneling basics

Almost every time I go on an overseas conference trip, although I am able to access the web and my email accounts from my hotel room, I am usually not able to access my web site server via SSH.

I have been told that what I need to do is set up Tunneling before I go away. I have read a couple of HowTos on Tunneling, but it is case where I just don't understand the basic concepts well enough to apply the advice given there to my own situation.

Also, the examples given on the HowTos seem to be focused on setting up e-mail, which I don't need--I just want to do SSH.

It seems that what I would be doing is setting up something on my remote server that will allow me access from my laptop when I am at my new location. If this it the case, then, do I need to make changes on both the remote server and on my local machine?

The example on this page:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/

offers the below sample command:

ssh -N -p 22 will@example.com -L 2110/localhost/110

With this as a template, how would I know that the values 2110/localhost/110 are right for my setup? Or how would I determine what the right values are?

Any help to get a better basic understanding of this would be much appreciated.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net