Re: [tlug] ACID Tests (was Re: Browser share in Japan?)

On 31/05/11 16:27, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Raymond Wan writes:
Yeah, sure, but my point is that I don't think that kind of analogy is
appropriate here.  I failed my first road test here.  I assure you
that although I made mistakes the second time around, I didn't make
the same ones.  But Firefox will lose points on the ACID test the same
way every time.  That's why it matters whether the standard is a good
one or not.

Hmmmmm, I see. How about that last line of an eye test that no one is meant to be able to read? :-)

Ok, never mind ... the analogies aren't working and I should stop now. ;-)

For example, the first comment said "I made an SVG font in Inkscape,
and it didn't work!  ... By the way, it didn't work in<some other
browser>, too."  (Well, d'oh.)  That suggests that the ACID test sucks
for sure, since it doesn't test features that people actually use, and
maybe that the standard sucks too, since nobody (well, 0 of 2 browsers
tested ;-) implements the standard.

Yes -- maybe the browsers aren't implementing it and don't have an intention to. But perhaps some day, one of them will? i.e., years and many versions later. At least there would be a test available to evaluate it.

...kind of like the Turing test. No no no...I said I would stop it with the analogies. Opps... :-)

But implementing it haphazardly just to pass the test at the risk of complicating the code is not a good idea. Better to accept that 97% is the "maximum score"...

So you see, the standard authors *do* have some common sense.  It's
just that *in hindsight*, sometimes we realize that their common sense
told them that something should be standard when it's a broken idea.

Maybe what went into 97% of ACID 3 should have been all of the test and the remaining 3% an "update" of the test -- ACID 3.1 after they thought about what they were doing. :-)

Ray