Re: [tlug] ACID Tests (was Re: Browser share in Japan?)

On 30/05/11 11:53, Gen Kanai wrote:
The ACID 3 test is flawed for a number of reasons.

My colleague at Mozilla, Alex Limi, goes into this in detail here:

http://limi.net/articles/firefox-acid3

Yes -- actually, I had read about this before on another page a while ago. I'm not so sure that this means the ACID 3 test is "flawed", though.

It's like those questions on the JLPT or Kanji kentei where only a small percentage of native Japanese speakers could get.

I would argue that the "flaw" is people who think that browsers have to achieve 100% -- way back when I was in school, I'd be as happy with a 97% as I would with a 100%. :-)

But...a more worthwhile test would have been one that was created with feedback from browser developers. That is true. On the other hand, some independence between the test and the development process might make things more transparent. Not sure...

Ray