Re: [tlug] Browser share in Japan?

Le vendredi 27 mai 2011, Godwin Stewart a écrit :

>In a corporate environment where users have no say in what browser they
>use, you will often find that IE6 represents more than 5% of the user

Of course it depends on your target audience. Same as if you were building an
Apple fanbois website. But for a global case you look global stats.

> As for mobile web, we made the decision not to support that
> specifically, mainly because browsers on mobile devices are getting
> better and better and acquiring capabilities closer to those of standard
> desktop browsers. Mobile screen resolution is increasing with time and
> no longer really requires anything specially designed for devices with
> little screen real estate.

Targeting mobile devices is not just raising the matter of 'displaying'.
There's new interaction modes and our well known bloated web can't win when a
dedicated app exists.

Where desktop browsers finally tends to reach standards compliancy, mobile
platforms totally diverts by using proprietary technologies, and increases
development costs. Fortunately there's Frameworks like Phonegap [1], trying to
deal with those all at once just using html & javascript.

Francois

[1] http://www.phonegap.com/home/