Re: [tlug] Erratic Rsync Behavior

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

  >  Starting from a couple of weeks ago, my rsync began to do funny
  >  things: Sometimes it fails to copy (or update) recently updated
  >  files (it hits some, but not others). Then the next time I run it,
  >  it copies every single file, including files that were never touched
  >  in the interim.

That sounds like you might be right, that it's a time-stamping issue.

It would help if you would post the scripts, at least the rsync
commands.

A typical one, going up to the server, is like this:

INMOTION="remoteserver:backupdirectory"

rsync --delete -ruvptl -e ssh /mnt/win_d/docs $INMOTION --exclude "*.tmp" --exclude "*.wbk" --exclude "tiff/" --exclude "*.bak" --exclude "*.*~" --exclude "*~"

In another version, I used -a -v instead of -ruvptl, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. As you might guess, this is going between a local FAT32 system and a Linux server. Going the other way (from the server to local) I use the same arrangement with the paths reversed in position.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net