Re: [tlug] Trouble with Japanese input on a new install

Thanks for the very helpful responses, Ray, Scott and Steve.

I won't bore you with all the things I tried (mostly inspired by your

   LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" firefox

Yup. Go figure. I'm definitely not doing anything like this on the other
box (the one where ibus works "normally").

Also, get this.... I'm used to the idea that Skype will "activate" the
IM tool (scim or ibus) as though it will accept input, but it usually
doesn't accept input. The only time I've seen it work is on my wife's
(older) workstation, with scim, and I consider it absolute black magic
that it works there. Not a clue.

On my less-new ibus-working box (NOT the one I wrote to ask for help
with), Skype plays its usual game of
I'll-let-you-toggle-the-Japanese-thingy-
but-I'll-be-damned-if-I-let-you-actually-type-anything. *However*... on
the "problem" box, Skype actually *takes* Japanese input. *Without*
doing the fancy env variable stuff mentioned above. It just worked (I
only discovered this after my original post, actually). The system
locale there is set to en_US.UTF-8.

I hate the black-magic-ness of all this. Maybe I just have to set all my
locales (er, CTYPEs) to ja_JP from now on, and be happy.

Dave