Re: [tlug] Trouble with Japanese input on a new install

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:39:00AM +0900, Raymond Wan wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> On 19/04/11 09:38, David J Iannucci wrote:
> > I'm only bugging you guys out of a certain desperation... :-}
> >
> > I have a newly-installed Gentoo machine that has very similar hardware
> > and a similar configuration to another less-newly-installed one. On the
> > latter, Japanese input (with ibus) is working fine. On the former, I
> > can't do input in Firefox or Thunderbird, the two I need it most for.

I'm making the assumption that ibus-anthy works in other apps.

If you run from command line

XMODIFIERS=@example.com GTK_INPUT_MODULE=ibus firefox

do you have any better luck, or possibly useful error messages?

> Out of desperation, I usually just do a list of all the
> packages in one machine and install all of them on the
> other.

> It could also be a user setting.  Something in your ~/.*
> files.  Since it is a new machine, you probably don't care
> so much about what is in your ~/ directory -- maybe you can
> copy all of the ~/.* files over?

Or, just try, at least temporarily, moving ~/.firefox and ~/.thunderbird
to something else, and seeing if it still happens.  (Or create a test
user and see if it happens with that test user.  Then, you've narrowed
it down to your configuration files.

You didn't say what desktop or window manager you're using, but both
Gnome and KDE seem to try to outdo Windows/Apple in deciding things for
the user.  If using one of those, and the moving those directories or
test user still has the same problem, try using another window manager,
e.g. fluxbox or openbox, or even twm, create _another_ test user and see
if you still have the issue.  (Although I suspect most Gentoo users stay
away from those two DE's.  These days work makes it necessary to work
with RH/Ubuntu based things, and I find that avoiding Gnome and
NetworkManager seems to eliminate 98 percent of the problems I see on
the Fedora Forums and mailing lists.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6