Re: [tlug] Current state of Linux compatible TV cards in Japan

CL, Peter,

Thanks for responding.

I took a look at the Buffalo tuner, which Biku Camera had on sale. I
think that would work, though it's not clear how I might get recording
with it and an external USB. Buffalo also sells units that have built in
recording, for more like 15,000 yen.

I also looked around in Japanese, and found at least one guy who got
digital tuning with Ubuntu:
http://ky-hive.jp/blog/?p=244

But the card he uses is still in the 18,000 yen range. Not to mention
the labour cost of setting it up.

The ability to record is fairly key because Japanese television can be
mind-meltingly stupid, but when it's tolerable it's fantastic language
learning. The only way to get past the stupidity and into the language
utility is the ability to filter for particular shows and watch on demand.

Looks like the simplest option is the Buffalo with built in tuner,
except that I still need the output to go through the Mythbuntu machine
so that I can use the same monitor. Not totally sure how that would work.

--
Dave M G