Re: [tlug] [announcement] nomikai March 25 (Friday)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 21 March 2011 15:56, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
>> But I've been to a Watami in Kanagawa-ken
>> where they had non-smoking seats, for example.
>
> Oh, I've been to many the izakaya that has non-smoking seats... right
> next to the smoking ones. I guess Japanese smoke knows its giri to not
> waft over to the non-smoking section. ;)

Yes, but I think the law required the smoking and non-smoking ones to
be actually separated.  I recall seeing restaurants prior to April 1,
2010 have both seats and then just weeks before that date, they
renovated and added a door.  Of course, the smoke still passes through
when the door is opened...it isn't perfect -- but it did seem to force
them to try harder than to just designate seats as being smoking and
non-smoking.

After being too used to Kanagawa, I went to a Tokyo Watami [I think]
and asked for non-smoking seats...boy, did I get a strange look from
the staff!  :-)

Oh...you could have the nomikai at a Starbucks -- they're all non-smoking!  ;-)

Ray