Re: [tlug] How much of radiations measured in Central Tokyo?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how much time it will take (i.e. before we can all sit
> back, take a sip of tea, and let out our breath)? Is it like another day
> or two, or another week, or is cooling a nuclear reactor something that
> takes a month or two?

I lost the source of this information but I read somewhere that
cooling will take "weeks".  They just have to be persistent at it and
*if* another tsunami came again to have backup pumps ready to go in
once the tsunami passed.

The lack of power from those reactors will be affecting us for a long
time after, though.  I don't know how long it would take for TEPCO to
make up for the shortfall.

> P.S. Thanks for this thread, and the links given. Answering my radiation
> questions much better than anywhere else :-)

I for one am also appreciative of the posts here.  As my Japanese
ability is so-so, I'm left with English language news and a lot of it
is just scaring our friends and families just so they can sell
newspapers.  One CNN video said, "Since they have a 30 km exclusion
area, does this mean that they're hiding something?".  Questions like
that just don't help; I pretty sure the Japanese government simply
over-extended the exclusion zone and aren't hiding anything (other
than the fact that they're in uncharted territory).

Ray