Re: [tlug] Thoughts and prayers from America

On 03/13/2011 05:25 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
I don't know, Josh.  I guess I would go with the usual suspects, like
the Red Cross.  Or
come back to Japan, get a job, and pay taxes so the government can repair the
infrastructure. :-/

Maybe somebody else has some good suggestions, though.

Good summary, Stephen! I was out yesterday and there were 4-5 people with cardboard boxes outside the station with references to the earthquake in Japanese characters. No mention of their organization. Even though they're in Japan, I would be suspicious of that...

If you're outside of Japan, Josh, I'd stick with Red Cross as Stephen says but also anyone that the nearest Japanese embassy / consulate suggests. I don't know much about these things, but I guess even if you donated money now it can't be used for some time; most of the provisions you see on the news were put away by the government ages ago in preparation for this.

I'm not saying donations won't help them; I'm saying that there is time to make an informed decision. Or else you would end up putting money in the first cardboard box you see.

Ray