Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 11 March 2011 06:36, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

> While writing and optimizing the asm code, a special block before
> and after is inserted that counts the cycles used. And in the end
> an overall benchmark is done, whether the whole thing did actually
> give any performance boost.

That sounds like profiling, albeit after the fact. Do you have any
idea how many optimisations were worth the effort? I'm guessing that
in a domain like high-speed video processing, you'd need lots more
hand optimisations than the average application.

What percentage of the codebase is in asm?

> Interestingly, the best optimized architecture after x86* is ARM.

Actually, I have two Linux-based video players with ARM processors,
and they're used a lot for game consoles, smartphones, etc., right? Is
this what lead to the optimisation, or is ARM asm just nice to write?
:)

> The best compiler i've seen out there is gcc. And it doesnt support
> any architecture well. Not even x86_32.

Can you qualify this statement at all? In what ways does gcc not
support x86 well? Does it not take advantage of the entire instruction
set? Generate inefficient code?

--
Cheers,
Josh