Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 10 March 2011 08:38, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

> Have you ever written code for a uC? if you go below 32bit, compilers
> become increadibly stupid. They only work well when they have enough
> registers and lots of memory.

No, I haven't, and I certainly believe you, Ryu, and Jim.

> Another thing is if you are doing high performance stuff where you
> use each and every feature of your CPU. Have a look at libraries
> like lavcodec which contain an increadible amount of hand written
> assembler code.

Sure, but that is certainly one of the special cases to which I
alluded earlier in this thread. I assume that lavcodec was profiled
and hand-optimised, right? Or did the developers (aren't you one?)
just know which sections needed to be fast / small enough for
assembler?

Also, how portable is lavcodec to amd64? PowerPC? Sparc?

> But especially if you go to smaller machines, there
> is no alternative to start directly in assembler. The mentioned PIC16F84
> is one of those uCs i wouldnt bother using a compiler with.

That is something I learned from this thread.

I still stick by my modified statement that you can't regularly beat a
compiler on any architecture the compiler supports well. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh