Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

On 03/09/2011 12:47 AM, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
I thought that Perl came first to you, and then Python and Ruby in that order.

As I said in the original post, I need a natural programming language, so Perl
is not an option.

I won't leanr Ruby because simple I don't have time.

Tcl looks good but it is completely new to me.

Ok, this kind of piqued my interest...

Perhaps this is obvious to others, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "natural programming language"? Or, what makes Perl unnatural or less natural than the other alternatives listed, including Tcl? (Which I have used before, but haven't heard about it for years...didn't know it was still being used :-) )

An old-school who has just came back to the list has sent me an private email
that persuaded me: Stick with PHP!

Well, rather than learning a new language, I think bash + PHP are good
enough for me :)

The motivation to learn a new language is usually the hardest thing. If this is for work and your employer said, "Ok, we are moving to this new language and I want you to take some time to learn it", then great. In reality, most employers probably say something like "We want a result by some date"; such a statement makes it difficult to justify the time to learn something new...

Ray