Re: [tlug] Alternatives to sed + awk

2011/3/3 Nikolay Elenkov <nick@example.com>:

> Python's major advantages: readability and sane syntax; it handles
> multiple encodings properly natively, regexes with Japanese just work. It
> works just as well for scripts, prototyping and real systems.

Здрасти Ники, Честита Баба Марта!

As of Perl 5.8 (which is now almost 5 years old), UTF-8 is used as the
internal encoding, and thus regexes on most Japanese just work.
Converting from other Japanese encodings to UTF-8 is quite
straight-forward as well.

The more serious development I do with Python, the more I have to
begrudgingly admit that it does have nice syntax. Were I not
simultaneously using Ruby, I'd probably like Python even more. ;)

One *can* write readable code in Perl, but in my experience, it takes
an experienced software engineer who is also experienced in Perl and
is willing to adopt no small amount of self-discipline (and purchase a
copy of PBP[1], of course).

--Josh "less of a Perl apologist than six months ago" Glover

[1] "Perl Best Practices", by Jim Breen's arch-nemesis, Damien Conway:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/0596001738/