Re: [tlug] cacert question

Hi Taisuke,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply!

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Taisuke Yamada <tai@example.com> wrote:
> It's a complex problem which questions multiple level of "trust".
> It boils down to following (in)equation:
>
>   verified != accountable != trustworthy
>
> To give out credit card #, it (company you're shopping at) must be trustworthy.
> But the truth is no RootCA actually provides that. It is you who's
> deciding to trust.

I see your point.  That I go to Amazon [for example] because I trust
Amazon because of their reputation and not because I trust the Root
CA.  I guess Amazon went to that Root CA because they trust it though;
for a company that earns as much money as Amazon, going to a Root CA
may not be a lot of money.

If I understand the system correctly...Amazon could have created their
own certificates and thus be their own Root CA.  But they go to
Verisign or whoever because ... I don't know why?  Could credit card
companies such as Visa impose a requirement on web-based companies to
go to a third party to obtain certificates?

> I often shop at foreign web shop, but that's not because I trust it
> 100%, but because I have certain level of trust to "theft protection"
> provided by my card issuer. That allows me to shop even if I only
> trust something like 85%. And most of the "trust" comes from its page
> content and reputation, not from being "verified" by cert.
>
> Having a SSL-protected site doesn't directly increase my trust to the
> shop, as it can be cheaply obtained. But it does increase my safety
> from crack attempt by non-shop member. And I increase trust to the
> shop by seeing that. Shop showed that it does care about customer's
> safety, so I assume that shop does worth trusting more.

Hmmm, interesting point.  You're right in that is also my reasons for
going to web-based shops.

Like I said in my previous paragraph, I wonder if companies like Visa
impose some requirement on companies.  (i.e., you must use a CA from
this list of companies).  Normally, to bill a credit card, they would
need our signature; a web-based transaction bypasses this requirement
so perhaps credit card companies have a say in how companies offer
this service?

> Major difference resides in human-operated part. For this part, major
> commercial RootCAs do have advantage over CAcert (at the expense of
> higher cost).
> - As all operation is done inside its organization, they have much
> fewer people to go after in case of legal conflict.
> - Depending on RootCA (and type of cert), human operator can take
> extra, strict  effort to verify identity.

I see.  Yes, I guess this is what I was thinking about in terms of one
advantage of a Root CA.

> Note I wrote "Depending on RootCA". Today's low-cost issuers tends to
> issue cert so easily, that I came to believe their reliability is
> around same as CAcert.

Yes, you are right -- not all Root CAs are the same.  No doubt some
have entered the business to make money...

Would I be correct in saying that there is no special requirement to
be a Root CA issuer?  I guess rather than a web of trust, you need to
some how be reputable or offer your services for a low price in the
beginning to build up your customer base.

>   === Comparison of CAcert and "Low-Cost RootCAs (LCRs)" ===
>  - LCRs only checks xerox-copy of ID card.
>  - CAcert asks for face-to-face direct verification, by at least 3 people.
>  - LCRs has shorter, and more reliable links to people to go after in
> case of legal conflict.
>  - CAcert has longer/complex, and less reliable links to people to go
> after in case of legal conflict.
>
> While CAcert can be operated in slack manner, I'd rank CAcert at the
> same level of these LCRs. So the idea of CAcert is that while it's
> hard to be more reliable than major (highly-reputated with reliable
> track record) RootCAs, it's probably possible to build "good enough"
> RootCA with community effort (because I does provide verification to
> certain degree). I don't think CAcert will replace existing RootCAs,
> but it can surely be a coexisting alternative.

I see!  Yes, I was wondering what you or others thought about CAcert
versus Root CAs.  I didn't think it could replace it but I now see
what you mean -- they they should coexist.  And yes, if the LCRs have
a poor reputation and are charging money, then maybe the ranking will
be:

Root CAs >= CAcert >= LCRs

> VeriSign (and et.al.)'s EV-SSL is an effort to add more
> "accountability" by even more strict operation. However, it's adding
> extra layer/complexity (and $$$), and I doubt if people outside tech
> industry ever understands what it means anyway...

Yes, it is hard to say if what VeriSign does is justified.  However,
their existence may not be because of us [the customers] but maybe the
credit card companies and the web-based companies.  After all, if
information is stolen through a transaction, provided we did our best
(i.e., did not put our credit card numbers on our home page :-) ),
then either the credit card companies or the web-based companies will
face the financial costs (not just the money stolen, but the lost in
customers).  So...perhaps...we [the customers] don't need to
understand it.

Sometimes I find it odd that the security necessary for a web-based
transaction is higher than the 4 digits for our bank PIN.  And this
happened to me once...I noticed my credit card statement has my credit
card number except the last 4 digits; but my receipt has only the last
4 digits.  Not very secure!  One nice thing is that Japan doesn't seem
so reliant on credit cards...

Thank you for answering my question!

Ray