Re: [tlug] Ubuntu server, Windows 7 client, and the firewall between them

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:03, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> However, one thing I notice is that if I turn the firewall off, but
> watch the output in Firestarter to see which ports are being activated,
> only 445 ever seems to be called.

Wonder if it's only monitoring tcp ports? The nmbd daemon uses the
137,138 udp ports. It's also possible that nmbd isn't being started. I
don't think it's needed for newer versions of windows. I believe I
left it running for my wife's mac which seemed to find the share much
easier when it was turned on. 'man nmbd' has lots of useful info about
itself.

You can find out if anything is listening on those ports with the
following command:

lsof -i :<port_number>

so for example,

lsof -i :137

That'll tell you lots of useful info like:

root:/etc$ lsof -i :137
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
nmbd    1422 root    9u  IPv4  12332      0t0  UDP *:netbios-ns
nmbd    1422 root   11u  IPv4  12335      0t0  UDP monstermash:netbios-ns
nmbd    1422 root   12u  IPv4  12336      0t0  UDP 192.168.1.255:netbios-ns

> In any case, the answer is that my Windows 7 client is set to a static
> IP of 192.168.0.6

Do you possibly have another ip address on the machine, through
wireless for example it may be trying to use? Do you have any outgoing
firewall rules on your ubuntu machine? What happens when you try to
map a drive to the ubuntu share, from the windows box to the ubuntu
machines ip address?

\\<ubuntu_ip_address>\<share_name>

What are the samba logs telling you?

--