Re: [tlug] Great Git resources -- thanks!

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you all for your opinions!
>
> Perhaps my situation is closest to Romeo's.  I'm not doing
> sysadmin work,
Everyone in an ICT project needs a version control system.

> but I work in teams in size ranging from 1
> person to...ohhhhh...1 person.  :-)
Wow, then I don't think CVS, svn or git make big differences to you.

> Sometimes it is more
> than that but for the most part, I don't have to worry about
> write locks.
CVS, svn has lock, and git has it in another manner.

> What I disliked about CVS was how each file had a different
> version.  Perhaps that was meant to give flexibility, but it
> was awfully confusing.  Also didn't like the version numbers
> with decimals.  So, SVN fixed my two biggest gripes.
Sounds like the color of a bikeshed.

> Since I don't worry about sharing access, I use SVN mainly
> for backing up and in this sense, having a local repository
> is unimportant to me.  What is important is whether my files
> are backed up.  In this sense having a network or USB
> storage with any revision control system would satisfy my
> limited needs.
>
> Perhaps my only reason for going to git is if development on
> Subversion stops.  If it does happen in a few years, as you
> predict Stephen, then perhaps it would be better to go on my
> own terms...  Given the number of you using it, I guess I
> don't want to be left behind...  :-)
>
> I'll at least install git and start off slowly since
> Subversion is satisfying my current needs...
I am working for a project that team members spread over the countries.
Of course, subversion does the job nicely but we are thinking of moving
to git for some reasons,

1. Force all changes need to be reviewed (permission for commiting)
2. We can work online/offline easier (full control over local repo)
3. Simpler branching
4. It is distributed

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )