Re: [tlug] Accessing a program running on a different computer

Hi Daniel,

On 01/02/11 23:47, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
On 2011-01-30 at 22:49:54, Raymond Wan wrote:
Suppose you're on Machine A and you are accessing Machine B
remotely.  You start Process X running on Machine B.  If X
is a GUI-based program (for example firefox), I don't
believe there is a way to see it from Machine A.

I have to do that moderately often. Here's what to do from the SSH
session:

     (x11vnc -display :0 -localhost -usepw&)
     sleep 1
     xtightvncviewer -passwd ~/.vnc/passwd localhost:0

Those are part of a larger shell script i have which lets me do all
sorts of VNC stuff. To use just those lines as they are, you'll have to
set up a password file--see vncpasswd(1).

Thank you for this! I will give it a try. I actually have a gateway machine (Machine X) between the two, but it seems like there is a -via option that uses ssh port forwarding. So maybe it will succeed...

Thanks!

Ray