Re: [tlug] Accessing a program running on a different computer

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 01:01:54PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> Can you start a program running on one computer, and then look at it's
> interface via another computer?
>
> I guess what I mean is kind of like doing VNC, but instead of getting a
> whole desktop, getting just that program.

If you really want Amarok beeing accessable from multiple computers
i suggest a vncserver (resolution adjusted to what you need for your
Amarok, and minimal windowmanager) and run Amarok there.

> Okay, so, recently I found a nice app for my Android phone, and I can
> use it to remotely control an open instance of Amarok. It doesn't spawn
> a new instance of it's own, it just has a limited interface that
> connects to a plug in in Amarok over the wireless network.

There are applications designed with just one computer for control in
mind, and others running a serverprocess and allowing to control that
from management-programs.
No clue if Amarok has buildin features that allow control from the re-
mote.  For example Ampache is a music player with exactly this separation
in mind, the server can be controlled from usual webbrowsers.

Christian