Re: [tlug] LAN, but no internet

Dave M G wrote on 1/19/11 3:50 AM:
> TLUG,
>
> Damn. Spoke just a little too soon. Late last night I thought I had
> solved my issue of linking a wireless router to a 4 port router, but it
> seems I'm not quite done.
>
> When connecting from my laptop to the wireless router I can see the
> other computers on the LAN, but it turns out I can't get to the
> internet. (All computers connected to the 4 port wired router are all
> happily working perfectly)

Does dns-resolution work for you? In my experience dns-resolution often
does not work anymore in such a setup. Don't know why, but it's fiddling
around because one of the routers should do that but doesn't. Try to add
a dns-server to one of your computers manually (like 8.8.8.8 from
google) or do a nslookup with a specific server (nslookup url
ip_of_name_server -- e.g. "nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8").

Btw. I have a similar setup.

10.0.1.0/24 is my network.
Router with modem has the 10.0.1.3 (I could use its WLAN-capabilities
but the next router has a DD-WRT running and is therefore better for that)
Router with WLAN that has the services running (incl. DHCP and only
local DNS) 10.0.1.1
Router that runs the N-WLAN has the 10.0.1.2 [1]

I switched of DHCP in the router with the modem, gave it manually the IP
10.0.1.3. 10.0.1.2 is in Bridged-mode.
10.0.1.1 has a LAN-port connected to 10.0.1.3 and to 10.0.1.2.
Settings of 10.0.1.1 are:
IP: 10.0.1.1, Subnet: as above
Gateway: 10.0.1.3
DNS: 10.0.1.3 (that's the only way I really got it working; even so I
have to use now the DNS of the ISP when not changing it manually on the
dhcp-clients).

The clients in any of my WLANs (as written above I have one g- and one
N-only-WLAN) get now the following information:
10.0.1.1 is the gateway and the DNS-server. If 10.0.1.1 can't resolve a
dns-query 10.0.1.3 is doing it and 10.0.1.1 will still answer the
dhcp-client.

Niels

[1] my network-infrastructure grew over time. I like the DD-WRT-router
because it has some superior qualities over the other stuff. But it can
only do B/G.
The wlan-router of the ISP sucks hard and the Time Capsule (A/B/G/N-NAS
by Apple) sucks as a router but is nice because of its Time
Machine-capabilities. I wanted now one 5GHz-only and one 2.4GHz-only
WLAN and not something mixed because of mixed results (no pun intended)
in the past. Our computers use the 5GHz-network, our smartphones the
2.4GHz-network.