Re: [tlug] ibus-anthy in RHEL6

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:12:33PM -0700, David J Iannucci wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:51 -0500, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com>
> wrote:
> > Ok, I just tried on Fedora 14 with fluxbox and Skype worked without
> > problem.  I just ran
> >
> > XMODIFIERS=@example.com skype
> >
> > and I was able to input Japanese.
>
> I'm running Gentoo, and my desktop environment is KDE 3.5.10 with Icewm
> 1.3.6 (unstable) as WM. So, a little unusual perhaps :-)  And of course
> with Gentoo it's hard to know exactly what state the machine in
> question is in...

Hrrm, I remember they were one of the first to make Japanese easy to
use, back in the old kinput2-canna days.

> I just found that it's not working in OOo, although IIRC scim had always
> done so in the past even when it (scim) wouldn't work in QT apps.

Ironically, on CentOS, which only has scim available, it will freeze
openoffice, though one can write something in terminal capable of utf-8,
save it to a text file, then open that in OO.

In
> Gentoo there's a binary package of OOo in addition to the source
> package. I have a vague memory of some functional difference between the
> two, and it might have been that Japanese input didn't work in the
> binary version. I had been using the source version, but it takes so
> &*@example.com&$^!@example.com&^#!*@example.com LONG to build (even on a 1.8 GHz dual core), that I've
> gone back to the binary one. Oh well.

Ah, I remember those days--and also FreeBSD, where on a machine that was
reasonable for the time, it would take 6-8 hours to build.

> Japanese input always works in Firefox. Good ol' Firefox. Maybe I can
> just write my 日本語 Skype chats in a web page form field, then cut/paste
> them into Skype :-)

I haven't used Gentoo in years.  As you've said in an earlier email, as
far as I can tell, scim has pretty much been abandoned.  I'm less clear
on whether scim in the past and ibus in the present were RH backed
products--I've heard that, but it was along the lines of, "I read it
somewhere on the Internet, so it must be true."  :)

So, I can't be of much help, I fear.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6