Re: [tlug] [OT] Accomodation for 2 weeks in February

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:58:26AM +0100, Sylvain Vedrenne wrote:
> Could you maybe suggest an affordable room for a two weeks stay?
> Anything's fine (minshuku, ryokan, hotel), if it's not too far from
> Tokyo, preferably with a LAN connection.

I'd recommend Park Side Hotel in Ueno.  It's been my favourite
accommodation for my last 4 visits of Tokyo (more or less once a year).

Pros:
- very well connected, in all senses:
  really close to Keisei Skyliner and JR, and to various subway
   stations;
  free Internet access in every room (bring your RJ-45 cable with you -
   and yes, it's a full Internet access allowing SSH and whatever other
   service you might need);
- kind and helpful staff;
- nice view from the pond-facing windows;
- both western-style beds and futons are quite comfortable;
- Ueno is IMO one of the most lively and interesting areas in Tokyo;
- only a few minutes on foot from Akihabara;
- rates are not too expensive.

Cons:
- not very cheap either;
- rooms are tiny (but if you are alone you can get along with little
  hassle);
- their "Italian restaurant" on the ground floor is a bit of a joke (as
  an Italian I think I know what I'm talking about - but the choice of
  other restaurants/ramen shops/sushi bars/etc in the surroundings is
  impressive, so who cares?).

Their website is at http://www.parkside.co.jp/en/index.html .

HTH,
 David