Re: [tlug] [OT] Payment gateways in Japan.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:41:20 +0900
Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc.imbeault@example.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly this just happened to Wikileaks, but I might
> be wrong. Caveat emptor ...
>
> http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Not only wikileaks, but a lot of people got bitten by that.
I know of quite a few OSS projects that got their accounts
frozen, because paypal thought that they were laundring money
(and that because a few people thought it would be a good idea
to donate some money). Paypal might also decide that the transaction
you just did is not right (what ever that means) and transferes
the money back to the sender (minus two times transfer fees).

In the early days paypal even confiscated the money, ie it not
even send it back, when they thought something was fishy.

Having had my troubles with payment gateways as well, i can
only recomend to use one that is backed by a bank and not
by a financial institution. The rules and regulations a
bank has to follow are a lot more strict and will save you
from a lot of legal trouble.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin