Re: [tlug] Remote desktop viewer not connecting

Anyone have any suggestions of a way I might diagnose this problem?

I don't use the gnome frontend so I'm not really sure what it defaults to using as it's vnc server. But you can always try starting vnc from the cli and see if that works.

This is what I use to start my vnc server when I need access to it:
vncserver -geometry 1152x864 -depth 24 :1

That opens it on port 5901. You can use the vncpasswd utility to set a password for the vnc login.

You can also use lsof to see if vnc is even listening on the ports you think it should be.

lsof -i | grep 590

Is it even running?

ps -ef | grep -i vnc

--