Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

Depend on the cable company, some only offer a connection behind NAT
only, so make sure before you join.  OTOH, USEN used to give out /29
subnets (5 usable static, global IPs) if you can get their fiber
directly into your home (for standalone houses only I think).

It's funny how Usen seems to be thought of as a "cable TV" company these days. Good marketing, I guess. Usen made it's name selling Internet-based karaoke systems to snack bars and karaoke box places then branched out into FTTH services. The TV service is relatively new, as it wasn't fully fleshed out when I first contacted them.

I had Usen at my last two apartments. In the first case, they installed the optical adapter in a common area and ran a 100Base-T connection to my apartment. In the second apartment, the landlord didn't want the shared box in their common area but they did approve having Usen pull the glass all the way to my apartment. (The landlord suggested I "call NTT and have them pull the fiber all the way through" but I correctly surmised that they really didn't care *whose* glass it was and Usen was willing to do
it... but I had to pay for installation as if it was a standalone house.)

When we moved earlier this year, I was disappointed that Usen doesn't serve this area but my local CableTV company (CTN) has a 130Mb downlink service so I went with that for now. CTNs wiring apparently brings fiber to some local hub on a pole somewhere and then runs coax from there to the house in what they call a "fiber/cable hybrid" service. The performance isn't bad -- but the contract explicitly prohibits home servers.

If you have a choice, go with Usen. Besides the /29 subnet, they have no restrictions on what you do with the connection and, to my knowledge, do not block ports. The optical converter has an RJ-45 on one side and it's a direct Internet connection -- no PPPoE or any other setup. Just plug in a comnputer or a router (with a good firewall setup, since Usen apparently does no filtering whatsoever) and you're in business. Plus you can opt for Internet-only service and you don't end up paying for web space and an email address that you probably don't need (you can get that, of course, but it's an add-on to the basic connectivity). Most importantly, at least in my old area, Usen owns their own glass so little, if any, of your money will end up in the hands of NTT.

My CableTV provider's connection is also straight Internet but you have to use their box (two boxes -- one to convert the cable to a PPPoE connection and another to log into their servers and provide the Internet access).

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.