Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

More questions:

The arrangement the sales people described as NTT's "Plan-1".  From
what they said, what's available depends on where you live, etc.  They
describe the arrangement as having hikari fiber that comes to my
building, but not to my apartment, so there would be the usual copper
wiring between the glass fiber and my computer.  Is this typical?  Or
does the glass fiber come all the way to the "modem" box for some
installations?

I'm game to change to whatever for Internet access, but would like to
hang onto the BB-phone service that Yahoo offers, which enables calls
to the continental US (excluding Alaska) for about the same rate as
domestic calls (I guess I should just do voice communication via the
Internet with my computer, but the low rate and convenience of using
the regular handset has been nice).  The sales people mentioned a
"BB-Unit" that would plug into the NTT modem, so I suppose with that
arrangement, it wouldn't matter which provider I use?

Lyle