Re: [tlug] ADSL or Hikari Fiber

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 12:12, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
"What's this 20th century question doing in here?" I imagine some
(many?, most?) saying....

A couple of questions:

1) In practice, in the real world, is a 100M fiber optic cable split
eight ways really a lot faster than a dedicated 12M ADSL connection?

Latency is quite significantly lower than on ADSL, and in my personal experience connectivity is a bit more stable. Plus, fiber *can* give you a lot more room for improvement (it's 100Mbps today, can be 1Gbps easily tomorrow).

2) How is the connection handled?  With typical ADSL, you toss in an
Ubuntu disk, and you're on-line.  Does it work this way with Hikari
Fiber, or do you have to manually set things up to connect?

Fiber comes out of the wall, goes into a ethernet base-LX to base-T converter and comes out as a normal ethernet connection. PPPoE over that and your'e done (easy as pie).

    Pier