Re: [tlug] The wrong kanji

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:12 -1000, "Bart Mathias" <mathias@example.com>
wrote:
> > The problem is that your system is displaying some text using
> > Chinese fonts.  From previous posts, I gather that you are running
> > Ubuntu, in which the easiest way to solve the issue is to simply
> > remove the Chinese fonts:
>
> Should I be embarrassed? I taught Japanese for 30 years (Inidiana
> University, University of Hawaii) and it never occurred to me that one
> of those styles was Chinese, and maybe I should point out the
> difference to my students.

I wouldn't blame myself right away :-)  Somehow I'm left with a nagging
feeling of not being convinced of this.  The typeface shown in OP's
screenshot looks like a Japanese face to me, not a Chinese face.  And
AFAIK the variant with the more traditional "simseu-hen" radical is
considered a Japanese kanji, although it might not be Jouyou.... no?  I
have a fairly strong feeling I have seen that more traditional variant
used in Japan.

I was prepared to bury my doubts until more people started sounding
convinced :-)

Dave