Re: [tlug] When is a line feed really a line feed?

Marjan Parsa writes:

 > I also find the hexl mode in emacs useful to see what actual
 > characters there are in the file, which you can get with M-x
 > hexl-mode.

If you're using Emacs, the modeline tells you which EOL convention is
in use, reading the file with binary or a *-unix coding system will
force ASCII CR to appear as "^M" in the buffer allowing you to
distinguish LF from CRLF easily if you're worried about mixed
conventions, and C-x = will tell you more than you ever want to know
about the character at point (including the newline, with point at the
end of the line, but it will always tell you it's "LF" because that's
how it is represented in the buffer; not terribly useful :-).

hexl-mode is probably overkill for most users unless they're
implementing the file(1) command or something like that.