Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> I wasn't able to find the memory chip I needed on the site you
> mentioned, but looking there spurred me on to finding other places, and
> eventually I found an online shop in the US that will ship to me for
> cheaper than I could buy here.
>
> Hopefully with the extra RAM I won't need to be so particular about
> finding tricky commands to squeeze more performance from the laptop.

I'm a big believer in stuffing as much RAM into a computer as possible
- especially with older machines.  Things should run a lot smoother
with 1GB compared to 512MB.  That's been my experience in any case.
I've got an old desktop Hitachi I use that has 1GB (that machine's
maximum) and it works fine with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Incidentally, that じゃんばら place used to have different stuff at
different stores - so I don't know how carefully they post things
on-line.  I used to just walk into one of the stores in Akihabara and
see if they had what I needed in the glass case with the memory.  In
any case, I'm glad you found a source for more memory!

Lyle