Re: [tlug] Anthy on Ubuntu CPU hog?

On 11/23/2010 10:34 AM, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

A quick top and ps is pointing the finger at anthy. I closed Anthy and
the CPU average came back down to normal. Has anyone else noticed
anthy being such a CPU hog?

I posted similar concerns on 16 October when I first got Anthy + iBus installed and working in Xubuntu 10.10. The upgrade from 10.04 suddenly made everything work properly.

At that time, I wrote:

According to System Monitor, the sharp increase in CPU use I am experiencing is due to:

python /usr/share/ibus/ui/gtk/main.py

hogging 98~100% of the cycles of one CPU core.  I have also noticed that iBus never sleeps or zombies.  It runs constantly, unlike everything else on this box.

Yours is the first possible verification I have received. At the time I wrote, I blamed iBus rather than Anthy due to the name of the file that was reported to be wasting so many CPU cycles.

The Anthy + iBus combination subsequently crashed while I was attempting to set it up for about the fourth time, taking a whole lot of my desktop customization with it. The biggest pain was having to rebuild Panel all over again, and now I have to restart Panel from the Desktop (Alt + F2) about 80% of the time. However, once the crash happened, CPU use went 'way down.

I have tried several times to identify the conflict that might have caused the crash without success. Whatever was causing the problem went away when the conflict resolved itself.

--
CL