[tlug] scp: how to overwrite 444 protected files

Is there a way to get scp to overwrite files on the remote host that
are set to 444?

I've asked my friend Google but could not turn up anything. Perhaps
that's because it's not do-able? (Would make sense of course but I'm
hoping there's some magic trick to get around having to first log on
to the remote machine to do a chmod 644 * on the files before running
my scp)

Jc