Re: [tlug] Multiple scp targets?

On 10 November 2010 18:31, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> password, as I have a different password for each machine, and I've
> sometimes caught a typo with wrong target machine this way. And it feels
> a bit more secure.

I don't know everything here about your situation, but as far as
security goes, I'd have thought you'd be at least as good with a
passphrase-protected key login than a bunch of passwords. (I suppose
if you have - say - a super-secure machine that you only access
occasionally and a bunch of machines that you access a lot, you might
want different keys for different machines to reduce the risk of your
super-secure key and passphrase getting compromised.)

Can't you just put some kind of other confirmation step to into the
script to make sure you've got the right machine?

As far as managing the config on a lot of machines without logging
into them all, Puppet is good for that, but it needs a "Puppetmaster"
machine reachable from the clients, and sounds like it might be
overkill here.

--
Edmund Edgar
Founder, KK Social Minds