Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

On 4 November 2010 23:23, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Jim Breen writes:
>
>  > Hmm. But good old LRU should handle that properly, ne?
>
> By the way, thanks for chiming in, Jim.  It's always nice to have a
> *real* engineer's confirmation!

Dunno about that, but I have what may be a silly question.

My laptop (Compaq Presario CQ60) came with 4G of RAM, but I can only see
3G of it (prolly a limitation of my 32-bit system). Is there any way I
can get at
it from Linux for a RAM disk or something like that? Is it worth doing?

As it happens, 3Gb is ample. As I write, I see I have 1.7G free, and of the 1.3
used much of it is cache and buffers.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University