Re: [tlug] Network completely down (was: Network annoyingly not starting on boot)

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 01:59:16PM +0200, Josh wrote:
> On 15 October 2010 10:20, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Somehow in the process of trying clear out the unneeded software, I got
> > rid of too much, and now the Mythbuntu computer that was having trouble
> > before no longer connects to the LAN or to the internet at all.
>
> This has been my experience when messing with Ubuntu's magic, which is
> why I just take the blue pill. :)

This seems to be the growing trend in Linux distributions.  Those who
have to use RH, or RH based distros at work, will no doubt be delighted
by RHEL 6's "streamlined and simplified" text install.

With RH and Fedora, which I'm forced to use, I've gotten around a lot of
their decisions for their imaginary "average user," (they seem to think
said average user is pretty stupid, actually).  With Ubuntu too, one can
use the alternate installation, which gives you more options for
customizing.  Not sure if it uses NM by default or not.

As for Fedora/RH....

In a spin worthy of the one who coined the term Windows Genuine
Advantage, basically, they've crippled text install, so you're more or
less forced to use graphic installation--of course, with Fedora's (and
other distros as well) using Noveau, often graphic install just gives
you a black screen, or, on netbooks, something where unless you've
gotten so familar with the installation that you know it by heart,
you're unable to click the mouse because the buttons are off screen.

They all seem to be getting more like Windows and Apple every day.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6