Re: [tlug] They've changed Apache again.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 08:05:59PM +0900, Romeo Theriault wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 19:34, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
>

>     Then later, my local web sites weren't working again, and it looks like
>     my /etc/hosts got wiped out again. Maybe after a boot.
>

> Apache won't modify your /etc/hosts file. This is most likely whatever new,
> fancy, pain-in-the-ass network management tool Ubuntu is using now. Which I
> don't know what it is. Maybe "Network Manager". It most likely has a gui you
> can use to setup your host entries in.

I'm in agreement with the others--Ubuntu, Fedora, and the rest of the
desktop distributions, in their efforts to be like MS and Apple, tend to
have network tools, and assume that you are booting onto a DHCP network.
In fairness, Ubuntu alternate install allows you set the network during
installation, and I think the latest Fedora does too, though Fedora
still insists on using NetworkManager.

In Fedora, I simply turn off NM and use /etc/init.d/network--not sure
how to do the same in Ubuntu.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6