Re: [tlug] They've changed Apache again.

2010/10/14 Dave M G <dave@example.com>:
>  TLUG,
>
> Since upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10, my /etc/hosts on my local testing
> machine got wiped out.
>
> I thought, "okay, fine, must have been over written". So I put back in
> what I had before.
>
> Then later, my local web sites weren't working again, and it looks like
> my /etc/hosts got wiped out again. Maybe after a boot.
>
> So it looks like when Apache starts up, it generates /etc/hosts, or
> something, and I need to put my list of domains in some other file... or
> something.
>
> I figured I'd go to the Apache web site to see what's up, but either the
> answer is buried in technobabble, or I'm not looking for the right terms.
>
> Anyone want to give me a hint?

I don't have a 10.10 installation, but my gut feeling is this is nothing
to do with Apache, rather Ubuntu trying to do something "clever" with
networking. This link appears to describe something similar:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/659872

Does your /etc/hosts file disappear completely, or are your changes
overwritten? (It's not clear from your description).

BTW I searched for: "ubuntu 10.10 /etc/hosts"

HTH

Ian Barwick