Re: [tlug] Network annoyingly not starting on boot [SOLVED]

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:37:18PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> The problem turned out to be that I did not really understand what Wicd
> did. I thought it was another way of managing ethernet connections, when
> really it's just an interface for an underlying system that is common to
> all such interfaces.

networkmanager was created to make static network-connections more
flexible, i.e. 'if there is ethernet connected use it, otherwise fall
back to wireless, if even that fails use G3-connection'.

Networkmanager is a bit bloated thou, enforcing communication via
hal/d-bus and other things.
wicd is to my understanding meant to do the sime, but using not as
many dependencies to other subsystems.

Christian