Re: [tlug] Where to get a "free" mp3 walkman in Japan

On 64/07/23 4:59, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

When I went, they didn't have any display at all!  Only an old
brochure - for a version no longer available - I was told.  The man
told me there was a newer version by order only.  Ah... thank you for
mentioning this!  That's a very good reason for the shop not to
promote something - if the supplier isn't giving them phones, there is
no reason for them to try selling them!

The skinny on the Desire (what I've been able to find out after a good bit of asking):

Samsung stopped supplying AMOLED displays to htc for the Desire in order to divert their production capacity for making screens for the Galaxy S (which will be available on Docomo this/next month). The "Desire II" when it becomes available, will be identical to the Desire except for a Sony display.

FWIW, I picked up an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 5 while on holiday in Philippines last month. Cost equivalent of about 21,000 yen, Android 2.1 (Froyo update coming later) and some of the Samsung extras. Only real downside to it is the relatively small screen.