Re: [tlug] Where to get a "free" mp3 walkman in Japan

> Does anybody know of a good mp3 player that is available in Japan and
> allows you to manage your music without the need for additional
> software?

I don't know what's available in Japan, and I don't know how well you
can really manage your music without some sort of app that runs on a
"big" machine with a proper monitor and keyboard, but anyone who's
interested in FOSS for portable music players should know about Rockbox!

   http://www.rockbox.org

I used to run it on my old 4th Gen iPod before it died - right after I
upgraded the disk to 60GB :-(  Rockbox supports all the open codecs and
has a variety of nice features not found in commercial firmware.
Problem is that it doesn't run on a lot of newer hardware, in
particular newer iPods.

Dave