Re: [tlug] Anti-virus software is a scam

On 09/28/2010 07:49 PM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
Actually when you say "here are the files you can open on your
computer and YOU CAN NEVER GET A VIRUS FROM THEM. EVER. Image files
(.jpg, .png, .gif)" I think you missed out some of the wonderful flaws
of Windows:

See, for example here http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/965206

Here's another exploit that was recently in the news.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS10-046.mspx

This one was triggered as soon as Windows generated the icon for a shortcut (.lnk) which means that simply exploring a USB flashdrive or clicking a link to an Internet webdav directory could compromise your system without even opening a file.

The way I see it, the worst case potential cost of infection is catastrophic. Once your system is compromised you could lose your files, have your identity stolen, bank account drained, etc. Whereas the cost of running one of the many free anti-virus on Windows machines is a few CPU cycles and 50 or so MB of RAM. Granted, no anti-virus is perfect and can't save users from ID-10T errors but if it prevents even one exploit then it was worth it.

--Kyle