Re: [tlug] Testing Apache for gzip modules

> Here's what I added (I put it right after another LoadModule line):
> LoadModule deflate_module /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_deflate.so
>
> ... and here's what it said back to me when I tried to restart Apache:
>
> # /etc/init.d/httpd start
> httpd: Syntax error on line 34 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: API
> module structure 'deflate_module' in file
> /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_deflate.so is garbled - expected signature
> 41503232 but saw 41503230 - perhaps this is not an Apache module DSO, or
> was compiled for a different Apache version?

Hmm, I've not seen this before. According to Apache 2.0 Changes file:

>  *) mod_so: Solve dev's confusion by reporting expected/seen module
>     magic signatures when failing with a 'garbled' message, and solve
>     user's confusion by pointing out 'perhaps compiled for a different
>     version of apache?'.  [William Rowe]

But I wouldn't think that your problem was because you have a version of mod_deflate compiled for a different version of apache because from your rpm -q --filesbypkg query showed that it was installed with the httpd package.

Someone will probably have a better answer than me but some things I would do to troubleshoot would be to run the 'rpm -V httpd' command which will verify the integrity of the files associated with a certain package, in this case httpd. The output of this command will only show you files that have some attribute that has changed with them since you installed the package. So if all you get are your conf files this wouldn't be the problem. Here is a legend of the different output headers and what they mean:

S = size change
M = permissions change
5 = MD5 changed
L = Symlink changed
D = Device change
U = User change
G = Group change
T = Date/Time change
missing = file is gone

If the size or MD5 of your mod_deflate module changed then I'd reinstall httpd.

 rpm -e httpd
up2date -i httpd

As a last ditch effort I would also just try applying any httpd updates that are available for the system.

up2date -u httpd

but that's probably not really the issue....