Re: [tlug] Ubuntu on just 256 MB?

Jean-Christian Imbeault writes:

 > There's gotta a be a Linux version I can give her to replace XP
 > that runs well on low memory. There just has to be :)

Linux is not your problem.  GNU, and even more so, GNOME, is.  GNOME
will be curling-slow no matter what kernel and libc is running; even
NetBSD won't make it fast.

Since this is for someone who apparently needs handholding, Kubuntu
might be a reasonable alternative (KDE/Qt was generally somewhat faster
than GNOME in my experience, although I haven't actually used anything
except Kmines in about 5 years ;-).

If not, you could try as suggested elsewhere Xubuntu with Xfce or
similar lightweight session/window manager.  But spoon-feeding
software running on such a limited machine will require a lot of
tuning to get it to run quickly.