Re: [tlug] Laptop repair

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Jawaad Mahmood
<jawaad.mahmood@example.com> wrote:
> On 2010/09/21, at 18:30, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Far be it from me to stick up for no-innovation NEC but...
>
> To be honest, it is a better pc than my Dell XPS or the Mac pro I had at work, (and suffice to say, much better than my sluggish 64 gig 3G iPad).  It's best form factor decision (light weight) makes it almost perfect - and a DVD drive to boot.

The thing I've not liked about NEC is simply compatibility when
building Frankenstein machines.  Maybe it's gotten better, but I've
had a number of bad experiences with NEC parts that are *supposed* to
be a standard type that you can use in a machine from another
manufacturer, but then don't work.  You can cross-breed with most
manufacturers, but (certainly historically, and maybe still?) not NEC.
 I've developed an allergy to NEC on this single issue.
Incompatibility bit them though - they used to have an even larger
percentage of the hardware market in Japan, but when companies
realized that when they wanted to send files overseas there was a
compatibility problem, many jumped ship and bought from other
manufacturers.

Lyle