Re: [tlug] Laptop repair: Granularity of Repairs

Lyle wrote:

> I don't think anyone except the manufacturer would even attempt to fix
> that kind of a problem with a laptop, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Usually manufacturers just swap boards, and usually avoid
debugging in any finer granularity. They also charge a premium
price for that service.

Compared to most boards in laptops, inverter boards are simple.
They fail often enough to create a big enough market, and are
simple enough that other manufacturers are attracted to making
new replacement inverter boards. Search for inverter and thinkpad
on Ebay.

Sometimes it can be feasible to replace individual components.
The best candidates for that are broken connectors and bulged
capacitors[1], which do not require much skill to diagnose.

Jim

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague