Re: [tlug] Further adventures in stability and security: backups

Romeo, Joe,

Thank you guys for responding, and for the tips on Duplicity and rsyncrypto.

Turns out Ubuntu has a pretty nice GUI front end for duplicity called "Deja Dup". From what I read, it might become their more or less "official", or at least de facto, back up utility for Ubuntu. After I checked it out a bit, I felt comfortable that it could keep my data secure enough.

I looked at some other online back up services, but a lot of them required that you download their software for running the back ups, and most were not available for Linux. Out of the remainders, onlinestoragesolution offered the best price. Where they lack is support. You can use whatever software you want to back up to them, but you're mostly on your own to figure out how.

However, with the Deja Dup interface, it wasn't to hard to set up an FTP connection. I might get around to setting up SSH tunnelling, but since the data I'm sending is encrypted, I'm not too worried.

I'm sending my first backup now. After it's done, I'll let it run automatically for a week and see what it's like to restore it later. Deja Dup's most frequent backup option is once a day, but that should suffice.

Bring on the asteroids.

--
Dave M G