[tlug] Further adventures in stability and security: backups

TLUG,

Currently, I do a backup every hour on the hour of my home directory to an external USB hard drive, using "Back In Time", which is basically a GUI for rsync.

Which is good if I have a localized hardware failure.

However, if my house is hit by an asteroid while I'm not home, then it's not sufficient.

On the one hand, I could pay for an online service, like http://www.onlinestoragesolution.com/index.html

But I just feel weird about putting my personal data on some anonymous server out there somewhere. Can I really be ensured privacy?

On the other hand, I thought about sending regular back ups to my father's computer in Canada. The upside is that I could ensure privacy, but the downside is all the set up. I'm pretty sure I could use Back In Time to send to a drive on a remote location, but I'm also sure there are numerous devils in the details.

What do you guys do for off site back ups?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G