Re: [tlug] Network performance

Mario,

Gentoo is something really flexible, to the point of being undefined
and quirky and sometimes tends to get out of control; and there is no
easy "reset to default" button...

I am using it for many years for home and work and plan to used for
many more. Actually, the server you used for speed testing (AKA
rsync1.jp.gentoo.org) used to run off my network; his sysadmin makes
everything needed to ensure it stays fast and free.

I just tried the same iso and got 7.11M/s final, which is good, I've
seen 9-10M/s. That said we both use Asahi-net on fiber, so the link is
quite fast between us.

I will put my bet on something strange in your kernel, so the best you
can do is find a way to boot from a CD or USB and test it.
I'd suggest SysRescueCD as it is Gentoo-based: http://www.sysresccd.org/

You mentioned not being able to boot CDs since the switch to grub-2...
Well, to boot from CD you need to configure your BIOS, it is before it
tries to boot off your HDD (where grub is). BTW, I also use grub-2 on
a couple of Gentoo boxen, but it is irrelevant to the CD booting.

If the speed improves, change your kernel (I have been running only
vanilla since 2.6 came out).

Otherwise I'll be very happy to meet you o{n,ff}line and help you
debug/fix the problem as long as you stay with Gentoo ;-)

Cheers,
Kalin.